10.15.2009

Shabby Chic Returns


Rachel Ashwell is reinventing Shabby Chic into a Couture Collection with two newly opened stores in Santa Monica (her original space) and New York with London to follow next year. I just read a tweet this morning referencing yesterday's New York Times article. And I am thrilled to update my last post from March regarding her store closings. It is amazing to me that in just a short time and 20 years since her mere beginnings in 1989, Rachel Ashwell is bringing Shabby Chic back.

In my last post, I provided some eco chic tips that to me Rachel Ashwell has inspired. Well, when reading more about Rachel's new projects on her blog, I was happy to learn that her slipcovered furniture, tables and bedding are all made in the USA. The vintage pieces are recycled from another era, and none of the bedding is packaged in plastic. She seems to be more deliberate and purposeful, concentrating on "authentic workmanship" by local craftsmanship that I am so excited to see. And while the Shabby Chic concept is iconic in decorating, I agree times are fitting for Rachel to bring back an affordable, accessible and comfortably chic revival, with a new and fresh approach.
Also available is her new book, Shabby Chic Interiors.

No comments: