12.11.2008

A Miami Chic Moment: Art Basel & Hope


If I wasn’t so incredibly under the weather from a trip to NYC, I would have been at Art Basel this past weekend. Art Basel is truly an event not to be missed. Miami transforms from beachy & glam to urban chic, an international “scene”; where the most marketable and the edgiest art coexist; the hippest celebrities can be spotted; the most sophisticated socialites attend …all at hundreds of different exhibitions, charity galas and restaurant openings. There are too many venues to mention, from the sprawling Miami Convention Center to the multiple galleries, Green Art Fair Miami and tented exhibitions in Wynwood (our version of Chelsea, NYC way back when)

In many ways Art Basel is indescribable, and even if you don’t love or appreciate art as much as I do, like my husband, it is nothing short of exciting; exhausting; and incredibly entertaining. There is a rush of all 5 senses to see as much art as possible and get a taste for what’s hot and new. It’s like the feeling I also get before the gates open at Disney or awaiting a BIG SALE at Bloomies.


I suppose obvious, there were many artful comments on the Recession and Obama. And yet while sales were down, and the real estate market is too…there is still an amazing energy. From what I can see and feel, Miami is still the place to be. Art Basel marks the beginning of the most incredible time of year. Right now boutiques are popping up everywhere; our famous mall is expanding; values are huge; renowned restaurants continue to open; the Winterfest Boat Show, South Beach Wine & Food Festival; antique shows and fairs fight for weekends (more on all of this later).
I never really thought I would leave New York but for 5 years now…we overlook the ocean, blue skies and palm trees…and yet we're minutes from the city's pulse...it ain’t half bad. In fact I am thinking it's a very hopeful place to be.
Looking forward to Art Basel 2009.

No comments: